Credit card (CC) processing automated in NetSuite involves using integrated payment processing services to handle credit card payments for sales orders and website orders securely and efficiently. NetSuite automates the entire invoice-to-pay process, from data capture to reconciliation, increasing efficiency and reducing fraud and accounts payable (AP) processing costs.
For all transactions where the cardholder (the customer) does not physically present their credit or debit card to the merchant at purchase, you can manage card authorization, fraud management, and funds capture straight from NetSuite.
This end-to-end integrated solution automates decision-making to speed up your order-to-cash process, lessen the need for manual order screening, and enhance the customer experience. You get a smooth, secure, and hands-off solution.
Let’s break it down further and explain why you need it.
Payment Processing on Auto
When automated, the payment processing workflow within NetSuite is triggered and kicked off without manual intervention. When customers make payments using credit cards, the system automatically handles the authorization, capture, and settlement of transactions.
|PCI Compliance and Secure Data Storage ➡️||• Complete PCI compliance|
|• Encrypted storage for card numbers|
|• Security of sensitive customer information|
|Seamless Connectivity ➡️||• Seamless connectivity for card approval and funds capture|
|• Supports various transaction types: online shop orders, mail and telephone orders|
|Cost Reduction ➡️||• Take advantage of level II and III purchase card processing|
|• Utilize payer authentication to reduce processing costs significantly|
|Order Validation ➡️||• Hold payments while validating orders to prevent fraudulent transactions|
|Fraud Management ➡️||• Effectively manage fraud using Cyber Source’s Decision Manager|
|• Enhance overall security|
|Enhanced Reporting ➡️||• Map sales order data to Cyber Source reporting fields|
|• Improve reporting capabilities|
|Soft Descriptors ➡️||• Identify card statements using soft descriptors|
|• Enhance customer clarity quickly|
Credit Card Auth Process Between NetSuite and Payment Gateway (Image Source: Oracle.com)
Funds Capture (Image Source: Oracle.com)
Automate CC Transactions In NetSuite
To automate the billing and credit card payment capture for sales orders, NetSuite offers a script called Auto-charge Credit Card. This script allows for the simultaneous processing of several transactions. You can run the script immediately or on a predetermined schedule. According to the time frame you give the script, there may be a slight wait between completion and billing.
The Auto-charge credit card script automates the following processes:
- Making a cash purchase out of a sales order that has the status “Pending Billing” and accepts a credit card as payment
- Verifying a credit card purchase
How It Works—
First, call the Auto-charge Credit Card script.
Then, use a saved search to find all sales orders in Pending Billing status and do not have a billing schedule.
Next, for each sales order found, create a cash sale record.
Finally, record a credit card payment for the cash sale record. This includes partially fulfilled sales orders.
When manually done, each item fulfillment results in one cash sale in NetSuite. However, suppose the system discovers numerous item fulfillments connected to a single sales order after you run the Auto-charge Credit Card script. In that case, the system creates one cash sale record combining the multiple item fulfillment.
What About Errors?
Errors can happen when the system automatically confirms credit card payments. For example, the card might not be valid, or the CVV code might be wrong. When these errors happen, the system records the cash sale and sends an email with the error information. The system also notes the errors in the script’s execution log.
The script will then create a cash sale with a status of Unapproved Payment. At that point, to complete the sale, you can manually override the payment hold on the cash sale record to approve the credit card payment.
Here is an example of how this might happen:
- → A customer places a sales order and selects to pay by credit card.
- → Auto-charge Credit Card script script is invoked and tries to process the credit card payment automatically.
- → Customer’s credit card is declined.
- → Auto-charge Credit Card script creates a cash sale record with a status of Unapproved Payment.
- → You receive an email from the system making you aware of the error.
- → Log into NetSuite and open the cash sale record.
- → Verify the credit card information is correct.
- → Manually override the payment hold on the cash sale record.
- → Credit card payment is processed, and the sale is completed.
The end user can repeatedly deploy the script for the automatic credit card charge. For instance, you can build a script deployment for each subsidiary if you want the script to run on various schedules for several subsidiaries. You choose the subsidiary for which you want the script to run on the parameters subtab. The number of sales orders influences processing times. To focus your search, use the optional fields on the Parameters subtab. All sales orders that need to be billed will be completed if the parameter entries are left empty.
When processing high sales orders, numerous deployments with varying specifications help address system performance issues. However, NetSuite generally advises setting up a deployment with wider parameters to ensure you don’t miss any sales orders.
Automated Transactions in Summary—
- The Auto-charge Credit Card script can be run manually or scheduled to run automatically.
- The script can be configured to run for a specific subsidiary or all subsidiaries.
- The script can be configured to include or exclude partially fulfilled sales orders.
- The script will create a cash sale record with the same status and amount as the sales order.
- The script automatically records a credit card payment for the cash sale record, even if the sales order is partially fulfilled.
- The cash sale record will have a status of Unapproved Payment. You can manually override the payment hold on the cash sale record to accept the credit card payment.
- The Auto-charge Credit Card script is scheduled to run daily at midnight.
- The script is configured to run for all subsidiaries and to include partially fulfilled sales orders.
- The script runs and finds a sales order in the Pending Billing status for Customer A. The sales order is $100, and the payment method is a credit card.
- The script generates a cash sale record for Customer A with a status of Unapproved Payment and an amount of $100.
- The script then automatically records a credit card payment for the cash sale record.
- You can now manually override the payment hold on the cash sale record to accept the credit card payment.
Benefits of using the Auto-charge Credit Card script:
- Automates sales orders’ billing and payment process with a credit card payment method.
- Reduces the time and effort required to bill and process credit card payments manually.
- Helps to ensure that payments are processed on time and accurately.
- It can help to improve cash flow.
NetSuite’s Payment Processing Solution
NetSuite’s payment processing solution, SuitePayments, is an integrated payment processing service that provides a single source for managing the entire order-to-cash cycle. It allows businesses to centralize, secure, and simplify the payment acceptance process.
- Provides the flexibility to accept payments in whatever way works best for the business, including credit card payments online, over the phone, or at the point of sale, all with PCI-compliant data security. It also allows customers to use PayPal, Apple Pay, or another digital payment method instead.
- Relies on a unique Payment Processing Profile within the NetSuite account to ensure PCI-compliant, partner-certified communication with payment gateway services.
- NetSuite, working with SuitePayments partners, provides integrated processing and secure data management of credit card transactions and digital payments via a single solution.
- NetSuite Payment Link makes it easier for businesses to receive payment by including a “pay now” option on electronic and printed invoices.
- For subscription, membership, and recurring billing needs, SuitePayments helps mitigate declines by passing the Card-on-File and Recurring Indicator flags credit card issuers look for and by leveraging the Account Updaters services supported by payment processing gateways through their tokenization services.
How Does Credit Card Reconciliation Work In NetSuite?
Reconciling credit cards in NetSuite is verifying that the transactions on the credit card account match the transactions on the ledger account. The transactions, including charges, cash advances, fees, payments, and credits, get reconciled. Once reconciled, transactions become cleared. Transactions must be reconciled and cleared before the period can be closed.
NetSuite Cash Management automates the payment reconciliation process. Bank and credit card data can be automatically imported into the software, which compares the information to internal records of transactions, reconciles discrepancies, and generates reports.
Knowing how to start, pause, and resume credit card reconciliation in NetSuite is helpful. Oracle provides instructions on how to complete a reconciliation later.
Here are some additional tips for reconciling credit cards in NetSuite:
- Reconcile your credit cards regularly. This will help to identify and resolve any discrepancies early on.
- Review your credit card statements carefully to ensure correctness.
- Match each transaction on your credit card statement to a transaction in NetSuite.
- Mark any reconciled transactions as cleared.
- Review your reconciliation reports for completion.
Steps for reconciling a statement in NetSuite:
- Select Transactions > Bank and then select Reconcile Credit Card Statement.
- From the Account field, select the credit card to reconcile.
- Verify that the last reconciled balance is accurate by looking at the Last Reconciled Balance field.
- In the Statement Date field, enter or select the statement’s date.
- Fill out the Start Date field with the start of the reconciliation period.
- Fill in the Ending Statement Balance field with the statement’s final balance.
You have come to the right place—
As a NetSuite consultancy and digital transformation leader, DataOngoing offers businesses that need help with NetSuite the following services:
- NetSuite Implementation: Our team of experts can help businesses implement NetSuite, a cloud-based business management software with credit card automation features.
- Customization: We can customize NetSuite to meet the specific needs of a business, including credit card automation.
- Training and Support: We provide training and support to ensure businesses can use NetSuite and its credit card automation features effectively.
- Integration: We can integrate NetSuite with other systems and applications that a business uses, such as payment gateways, to streamline credit card automation processes.
By working with DataOngoing, businesses can improve their credit card automation processes, reduce errors, and save time and money.